- LDAF Boards and Commissions
- Agricultural & Environmental Sciences
- Agricultural Chemistry Programs
- Horticulture Programs
- Pesticide & Environmental Programs
- Seed Programs
- Commodity Promotion and Research
- Agricultural & Environmental Sciences
- Animal Health
- Agro-Consumer Services
- Industrial Hemp
- Medical Marijuana
- Indian Creek Recreation Area
- Quick Guide
- Pay Online
Search Our Site...Subscribe
Forestry enforcement officers are commissioned by the State Forester as per LA.RS 3.4274.1 and are vested with the same authority and powers conferred by law upon regular law enforcement officers of this state. They also shall have primary responsibility for the collection, preparation, and central registry of information relating to theft of timber and shall assist all law enforcement agencies in investigations of timber theft violations throughout Louisiana.
Enforcement officers are also authorized to audit records of timber harvesters and facilities that receive forest products to ensure compliance with civil statutes regulating the harvesting and receiving of timber products.
Enforcement officers work closely with timberland owners to educate, counsel and direct them in the protection of their timber resources and legal options in pursuing settlements or criminal court actions. Prevention and education activities include presentations, public contact programs and media projects. All activities are designed to promote public awareness and participation in the Louisiana Department of Agriculture and Forestry’s effort to reduce all forestry related crimes.
Criminal Laws Fire
During a 42 day period 1952, more than 5000 forest fires burned a ¼ million acres of forest land in Louisiana.
Determining the extent of the damage caused by these fires was a big task so State Forester James Mixon, the Louisiana Forestry Commission and Louisiana Forestry Association created the Forestry Enforcement Division on November 11, 1952. The fledgling Forestry Enforcement Division was comprised of seven men, including the chief investigator.
As a result of the new enforcement team’s work, the arson squad investigated 464 fires, made 215 arrest for arson and criminal negligence in 1954 resulting in 181 convictions.
- RS 3:4281 – Prosecution for setting fire; cost of fighting fire as part of penalty
- RS 14:52 – Simple arson
- RS 14:54.1 – Communicating of false information of planned arson
- RS 14:54.2 – Manufacture and possession of delayed action incendiary devices
- RS 14:54.4 – Forefeitures
- RS 14:204 – Fire-raising on lands of another with criminal negligence
- RS 14:205 – Fire-raising on lands of another with malice; penalty
Criminal Laws Timber Theft
The enforcement division of the Office of Forestry within the Department of Agriculture and Forestry shall have primary responsibility for collection, preparation, and central registry of information relating to theft of timber and shall assist all law enforcement agencies in investigations of violations.
The Forestry Enforcement Division may assist the public in a limited capacity regarding complaints of timber theft that are not criminally related.
- RS 3:4278.1 – Trees, cutting without consent; co-owners and co-heirs; penalty
- RS 3:4278.2 – Sale of undivided timber interest; consent of co-owners; theft
- RS 3:4278.3 – Transporting or receiving of forest products; records; rules; penalties
- RS 3:4278.4 – Harvest or sale of forest products; failure to remit payment to owner; penalty
- RS 3:4278.5 – Prohibited cutting of cypress trees; exceptions; penalty
Due to the difficulty in tracking harvested timber and the increased complaints of timber theft in Louisiana, the authority to establish Rules and Regulations regarding timber harvesting was given to the LDAF by the state legislature to help deter timber theft.
With these Rules and Regulations in place the Forestry Enforcement Division has an efficient tool to track harvested timber throughout Louisiana.
- Timber Harvesting and Receiving Records, Part XXXIX, Chapter 15
- Sample Loaders Log Required Information
- Sample Load Transport Ticket