Search Our Site...


What is the purpose of the apiary law and regulations?

To prevent the introduction into and dissemination within this state of contagious and infectious diseases of honeybees by providing for the registration, inspection, and control of honeybees and apiaries.

How do I file a horticulture complaint?

To file a complaint, call 225-952-8100, Email or contact the appropriate district office as indicated on the AES District Map.

How do I know if a horticulturist is licensed?

Visit the Licensed Horticulture Professional List. For additional information, call 225-952-8100 or Email.

When is the next arborist seminar?

Arborist Seminar Schedule

Where can I obtain study material for the various horticultural tests?

Call 225-952-8100 or email:

Who needs to register honey bee colonies? How do I register?

Anyone who keeps bees in Louisiana needs to be registered. To download registration materials for your colonies, click this link.

How do ornamental sweet potatoes fit into the sweet potato quarantine restrictions?

Ornamental sweet potatoes are treated the same as production sweet potatoes, since the risk of harboring weevils is the same.

Where can I find a list of nursery stock producers?

Click here to see a list of Nursery Stock Dealers.

What are the Louisiana entry requirements for honey bee colonies and second hand beekeeping equipment?

Honeybees and used or secondhand beekeeping equipment may be shipped into the state by a person possessing a current Class A permit, but only when accompanied by certification of inspection from the state. A Class A permit may be issued to any applicant.

Who needs to have honey bee colonies inspected? How do I apply for inspection?

Anyone who is moving bees out of state or is selling bees and hives. There are also a possibility that people moving bees in the state will need to have their bees inspected. For more information and to download an inspection form, go to the Apiary page HERE.

What areas in Louisiana are sweet potato weevil infested?

Louisiana parishes are designated as either “green tag” (SPW free) or “pink tag” (SPW-free). For a map and additional information, Click Here.  Potatoes grown, stored or packed in infested parishes cannot be moved to SPW-free areas.

What is the purpose of inspection of nursery stock at the grower level?

Nursery stock is inspected at the grower level to insure that the stock being offered for sale is free from injurious insects and diseases. Inspections are also performed for crop and plant pests that are not known to exist in Louisiana as part of an early detection program. All nurseries that ship material out of state are required to undergo annual inspections.

Is a permit required to sell nursery stock? Who needs to have nursery stock inspected?

A permit is required by any person who sells nursery stock. If the nursery stock being offered for sale is bought and re-sold, a Nursery Stock Dealer Permit is required by the Horticulture Commission. If the nursery stock being offered for sale is propagated and grown by the applicant, then a Nursery Certificate Permit is required.

When did Boll Weevil Eradication begin in Louisiana?

Diapause applications began in the Red River Zone (western Louisiana) in 1997. Diapause applications began in all other areas of Louisiana in 1999.

What are the benefits of Boll Weevil Eradication?

In areas of boll weevil eradication, cotton growers have benefited from lower production costs because of reduced pesticide use and higher yields that have led to increased land values and expanded cotton acreage. Pesticide savings between 40 and 90 percent have been realized and many cotton growers have been able to forgo pesticide use entirely. Yield increases of 10 to 20 percent have been achieved in areas where the boll weevil has been eliminated.

What is a boll weevil?

The boll weevil (Anthonomus grandis Boheman) is a cotton insect indigenous to Mexico that entered the United States into Texas in 1892. By the early 1920’s this insect had migrated through the cotton belt to Virginia, destroying the cotton crop. Since its arrival in the U.S. this insect has cost the cotton industry nearly $22 billion in damage and insecticide application costs.

How does the Boll Weevil Eradication Program work?

Boll weevil eradication is accomplished with two techniques – Pheromone traps for detection & chemical treatments for control. The program begins with autumn diapause applications. In subsequent years, traps are placed around cotton fields in the spring as cotton is planted. Traps are monitored & pesticide applications are made to all infested areas. For boll weevil eradication to be successful, all cotton fields must be monitored.

What type of horticulture license or permit do I need?

This depends on what you will be doing. Please click this link: Horticulture & Nursery Licenses & Permits. For more information, call 225-952-8100 or email

Do other states have shipping restrictions on Louisiana sweet potatoes?

Yes. Most sweet potato producing states will only accept Louisiana sweet potatoes that have been grown, stored and packed in SPW-free areas. For a listing of plant pest quarantine regulations by state, see the following link:

Does LDAF offer any grants?


What documents or information will be needed for financial assistance?

The following items can be considered a good beginning list of documents: completed application, current business plan including financial projections, current financial information, appraisals on the items to be offered as security, drawings of any structures to be built or modified.

Does a farming operation qualify for loans or guarantees through LDAF?

Currently, LDAF programs do not provide state funded assistance directly to farming or ranching operations. However, we can provide information on other entities that do have such programs.

How do I apply for a Louisiana Certified, Certified Cajun or Certified Creole logo?

Go to our website to apply. There is no fee for this service.

How do I obtain test results for a seed sample that I submitted?

Testing procedures are set by AOSA Rules for Testing Seeds. To obtain results for a specific sample, contact the Louisiana Seed Testing Laboratory at (225) 925-4733 or email requests to

Who do I call for assistance with my natural resource management problems?

If you are concerned about soil erosion, native vegetation enhancement, pond construction, wetlands, wildlife habitat and surface water quality on your property, contact your SWCD or the NRCS at your nearest Agricultural Service Center.

Where do I obtain a soil survey?

Soil Surveys are available at your local Agricultural Service Center or online at

How do I get involved in the LA Envirothon?

For Envirothon registration information, contact the OSWC or the LA Governor’s Office of Environmental Education at

Do I qualify for enrollment in one of the Farm Bill Conservation programs?

To find out about Farm Bill Conservation Program eligibility, contact the USDA-NRCS at your local Agriculture Service Center.

How are Soil and Water Best Management Practices (BMP) projects selected?

Projects selections are in accordance with USEPA’s TMDL priorities.

What are Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and why is it important?

Geographic Information Systems are computer information systems that can input, store, manipulate, analyze and display geographically referenced data that are critical in development and support of watershed based conservation planning activities.

What types of vegetative materials are used in the revegetation projects?

Many species of native wetland plants and locally adapted cultivars are used, and are selected according to project site conditions. For more information contact the Office of Soil & Water Conservation.

Who implements revegetation projects?

Re-vegetation projects are implemented by OSWC staff, SWCD employees and local volunteers.

How can I help with coastal restoration projects?

To help with coastal restoration projects, go to your nearest Parish Agricultural Service Center, sign up as an NRCS Earth Team Volunteer, and ask to be included in one of the District re-vegetation projects.

What types of facilities are eligible to participate in LDAF Agricultural Solid Waste programs?

Agricultural processors such as rice and sugar mills, grain elevators, cotton gins and sweet potato processors. Aquaculture processors such as crawfish, shrimp, oyster and finfish cleaning/packaging operations. Also wood waste disposal operations, and stable manure disposal.

How do I ensure my Agricultural Solid Waste Best Management Practices (BMP) plan remains current?

Ag Solid Waste BMP Plans should be revised with any significant change in facility operations. For plan revisions contact the OSWC.

What is Project WET?

Project WET (Water Education for Teachers) is a fun, interdisciplinary water education curriculum supplement designed for use by formal and non-formal educators of students age K-12.

How do I get a Project WET workshop scheduled at my school?

To schedule a Project WET workshop, contact the OSWC. For more information on the Project WET Program, visit

How do I get Soil & Water Stewardship materials for my children or students?

For information on Soil & Water Stewardship Week, contact your local SWCD, or visit

How do I get more Backyard Conservation booklets?

For Backyard Conservation booklets, contact the OSWC, or the Soil & Water Conservation Society at

What is the Master Farmer program and how will it help me?

The Master Farmer Program is a structured educational program for all agriculture producers designed to help attain maximum productivity while maintaining an environmentally sound operation. To begin enrollment in the Master Farmer Program, contact your local County Agent.

What are Soil & Water Conservation Districts?

SWCDs are local units of State Government working with the USDA-NRCS to deliver technical assistance to landowners for their conservation needs. Each of LA’s 44 SWCDs is governed by a board of 5 Supervisors. For more info visit NACD or review the state law.

How do I become a Soil and Water Conservation District (SWCD) supervisor?

If you are interested in becoming a SWCD Supervisor, contact your local SWCD, typically located in the Parish Agricultural Service Center, or call the Office of Soil & Water Conservation.

What are the responsibilities of a Soil and Water Conservation District (SWCD) supervisor?

LA Revised Statutes, Chapter 9, Section 1207-1208

How are Soil and Water Conservation Districts (SWCDs) funded?

The SWCD program is funded by the State Legislature. Some SWCDs also generate funds locally.

What are Total Maximum Daily Loads in regards to soil and water conservation?

Total Maximum Daily Load:[USEPA] The maximum quantity of a particular water pollutant that can be discharged into a body of water without violating a water quality standard.

Regarding soil and water conservation, what is Nonpoint Source pollution?

Pollution discharged from over a wide land area, not from one specific location; without a single point of origin.

Who can participate in the 319 NPS program?

Land owners within a designated priority watershed. Contact your local SWCD or the Office of Soil and Water Conservation for eligibility.

How are the Soil and Water Conservation Commission boundaries defined?

LA Revised Statutes, Chapter 9, Part 1, Section 1204

What are State Soil & Water Conservation Commission responsibilities and authorities?

LA Revised Statutes, Chapter 9, Part 1, Section 1204

How are revegetation projects selected?

Project selections are based on environmental criteria such as soil chemical and physical properties, salinity, hydrology, wave energy and many others, and are prioritized according to restoration/demonstration need and potential.

How do I enter a new crop variety into the Louisiana seed certification program?

View General Requirements for Certification located on this website.

How much seed do I need to send for testing?

Testing procedures are set by AOSA Rules for Testing Seeds and require a minimum of 400 seeds. For specific seed kinds see the sample size table on this website.

What are the fees for seed testing?

Fees depend on test(s) ordered, condition of sample and kind of seed submitted. View the Fee Schedule for more information.

When sending a seed sample, what address do I send it to?

a. UPS or Hand Delivery: Louisiana State Seed Testing Lab, 5825 Florida Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA 70806 b. US Mail: Louisiana State Seed Testing Lab, P.O. Box 3596, Baton Rouge, LA 70821-3596

What are the minimum germination times required for seeds submitted for testing?

For minimum germination times for specific seed kinds see the Germination Time Requirements.

Which weeds are considered to be noxious in Louisiana?

View the Noxious Weed List located on this website.

What is the Plant Variety Protection Act and how does it affect me as a seedsman?

Under the Plant Variety Protection Act of 1970 (revised 1994), an originator, developer, or owner of a variety may obtain legal protection for that variety exercising one of two enforcement options. For more information visit the USDA Plant Variety Protection Office.

Where do I find seed certification standards for a specific crop?

View the Louisiana Seed Certification Standards located on this website.

How do I enter a field into the Louisiana Seed Certification program?

View Steps to the Certification Process on this website.

What are the deadlines for entering a field into the Louisiana Seed Certification program?

View Application Deadlines located on this website.

How do I renew my Seed Dealer's license?

Prior to the new license year our office will send out license renewal forms to each person/firm holding a seed dealer license the previous year. Complete the renewal form and return it along with the proper fee to the address on the renewal application.

What is the Seed Inspection Fee?

The Seed Inspection Fee is a regulatory fee on all seed offered for sale, sold or otherwise distributed in the state, used to defray the cost of regulating the seed industry in Louisiana.

How much are the Seed Inspection Fees?

All seed dealers shall pay an inspection fee of $.20 for each 100 pounds of agricultural seed sold, offered for sale, exposed for sale, or otherwise distributed for sale for planting purposed within the state. The inspection fee shall be due on the total pounds of first point of sales distributions in Louisiana by the seller of the seed.

How do I submit a seed sample for testing?

Download from this website and complete the Service Sample Submission form. Forward a sample of the seed with the corresponding submission form to the Louisiana State Seed Testing Laboratory.

Are there any exceptions to paying the Seed Inspection Fees?

The payment of the inspection fee is not required for a person who offers for sale, sells, or distributes La. certified tagged seed upon which inspection fees have already been paid.

Do I need a Sweet Potato Dealer's Permit?

Any person or business who plans to grow, move, clean, grade, pack or repack, sell or process sweet potatoes for commercial purposes needs an annual Sweet Potato Dealer’s Permit.

What plants must be held in postentry quarantine?

§ 319.37-7 Postentry quarantine.

Where can I find tree seedlings?

Sources of Tree Seedlings

Are there any programs that help with the cost of planting trees?

There is a State cost-share program called the “Forestry Productivity Program” that pays for approximately 50% of the cost of site preparation and planting of trees. Landowners with five acres or more to be planted are eligible. There is also various Federal cost-share programs that assist landowners with this as well.

Which tree seedlings should I choose to plant on my land?

That depends on a number of things. How productive is your site? How much money can you invest? How soon do you want to get a return on your investment? The best answer would be to get a forester on your site and have him or her tell you your best options after he has inspected your land.

Can the LDAF help me decide which tree species to plant?

LDAF has professional foresters all over the state that can come to your place and help you choose which species is best suited for your property and your desired use. The forester can also help you with several cost sharing programs available to help defray the cost of planting seedlings for timber production, wildlife habitat enhancement and even for recreational use. Or, you could contact a local consulting forester to inspect your land and make recommendations.

How do I submit a Certified Seed sample from a field that has passed field inspection?

All Certified Seed samples must be taken by an inspector of the Louisiana Department of Agriculture & Forestry. To request a sample to be taken, contact your local LDAF office or the Seed Testing Laboratory at (225) 925-4733 or email:

How do I ship certified seed in bulk?

In order to maintain the integrity of the certified seed lot, all transfers of certified seed or seed petitioned for certification, whether in-state or out-of-state, must be accompanied by a Bulk Seed Transfer Report form.

Where can I purchase Certified Seed?

Certified Seed can be purchased through your local licensed Seed Dealer upon request.

What is Certified Seed?

Certified Seed is high-quality seed of a known variety, which has superior production potential as defined by these important factors: known genetic source, identity and origin, high genetic purity, high germinating ability, minimum amount of impurities, known presence or absence of certain seed-borne diseases and free of noxious weeds.

How do I update the test date on a certified seed lot that the test date has expired?

(1) A service sample may be submitted and upon receiving favorable results, a supplemental label, containing the updated germination percentage and new test date, can be placed in the vicinity of the existing certified label. (2) If the seed owner chooses to place new certified label on the lot, then the seed lot must be resampled by LDAF inspectors and submitted as a certified sample.

How can I be sure I am purchasing Certified Seed?

Certified Seed are always labeled with an official certified seed label or in the case of bulk certified seed, a Bulk Certified Transfer form. If the seed does not contain a Certified Seed label or a Bulk Certified Transfer form, it is not Certified Seed.

How long will it take to get my seed sample results?

Testing procedures are set by AOSA Rules for Testing Seeds. To get an answer for a specific sample, please contact the Seed Testing Laboratory at (225) 925-4733. For minimum germination times for specific seed kinds see the Germination Time Requirements.

How do I file a Seed related Complaint?

To file a complaint: call (225) 925-4733 or email: Please have as much detailed information as possible to enable us to help you.

Where is the Seed Testing Laboratory located?

The Seed Testing Laboratory is located at: 5825 Florida Boulevard, Baton Rouge, LA 70806.

Where do I find the Louisiana Seed Certification Services and Fee Schedule?

View the Fee Schedule located on this site.

Do I have to register my scale and scanners if they are used commercially?

All commercial devices must be registered with the Louisiana Department of Agriculture and Forestry/ Weights and Measures Division. Contact us and we will have an inspector come by to inspect the device to ensure it is suitable for the application and meets all the requirements for use in commercial trade.

Why should I purchase Certified Seed?

Seed quality is perhaps one of the most important factors in your buying decision. Quality is what distinguishes Certified Seed from all the rest. Purchasing high quality Certified Seed ensures you that the attributes selected by the breeder are actually present in the seed you purchase. Seed that carries the Certified tag often costs more than other seed, but you get what you pay for.

Does the Louisiana Seed Laboratory sell seed?


How do I update the test date on a lot of seed?

Download and complete the Service Sample Submission form available from this site. Forward a sample of the seed with the corresponding submission form to the Seed Testing Laboratory. Upon receiving favorable lab results, place a supplemental tag, in the vicinity of the existing tag, containing the updated germination percentage and the new test date.

How do I obtain a Seed Dealer's license?

Obtain an application from the Seed Laboratory by calling (225) 925-4733 or download the application from this site. Complete the application and mail it in, with the correct fee (checks only-no cash accepted).

Am I responsible for paying Seed Inspection Fees?

All seed dealers shall pay an inspection fee on all agricultural and vegetable seed sold, offered for sale, exposed for sale, or otherwise distributed for sale. The inspection fee shall be due on the total pounds of seed at first point of sales distribution by the seller of the seed.

Do I need a Seed Dealer's license?

Every person who sells, distributes, or offers or handles for sale agricultural, vegetable, or flower seed or other propagating stock of one pound or more in weight shall register with the Commissioner as a seed dealer.

What is the cost of a Seed Dealer's license?

$100.00/year renewable annually on July 1

What are the Louisiana Seed Sale and Labeling requirements?

Requirements differ between agricultural or vegetable seeds and vary depending on size of container. We recommend reviewing the Louisiana Seed Law and Rules and Regulations or Labeling Requirements located.

How often do I need to renew my Seed Dealer's license?

Yearly, based on our fiscal year of July 1 – June 30.

What is considered nursery stock?

Nursery stock is all trees, shrubs, ornamental plants, grass sod, foliage plants, or marsh plants grown or propagated for sale or distribution.

What are Best Management Practices (BMPs)?

Best Management Practice: An accepted practice for natural resources management within a land-use operation such as farming; may include one or more conservation practices.

Does the Louisiana Seed Testing Laboratory test out-of-state seed?

Yes. Complete a Seed Sample Submission form and forward the form and sample to the Louisiana Seed Testing Laboratory.

What are the labeling requirements for coated seed?

Labeling requirements for coated seed can be found under Section 121 (H) of the Seed Rules and Regulations.

Need to file a public records request?

File a public records request HERE.

Who should I contact if I have a motor fuel or consumer complaint?

You can contact Weights and Measures at (225) 925-3780 or (800) 247-1086 or contact us through email:

What is a commercial weighing or measuring device?

A commercial device is any weight, measure, or weighing or measuring device commercially used or employed in establishing the size, quantity, extent, area, time, distance or measurement of quantities, things, produce, or articles for distribution or consumption, purchased, offered, or submitted for sale, hire or award, or in computing any basic charge or payment for services rendered on the basis of weight or measure.

Am I required to have a license to work on a commercial weighing or measuring device?

Any company that works on any commercial weighing or measuring device must register as a service agency and their employees who work on the devices must register as a service person.

How do I know if I need to register my scale or scanner?

All commercial devices must be registered with the Louisiana Department of Agriculture and Forestry / Weights and Measures Division. Contact us and we will have an inspector come by to inspect the device to ensure it is suitable for the application and meets all the requirements for use in commercial trade.

What are the licensing requirements for a commodity warehouse?

Any warehouse storing commodities for producers for a fee must be licensed and bonded according to their capacity. For specific requirements, contact the Ag Commodity/Warehouse Division at 225-922-1341.

How can I tell if a commercial weighing or measuring device is accurate?

All devices are inspected annually and after a device meets the requirements for accuracy a Louisiana Dept. of Agriculture and Forestry Seal is then placed on the device.

Does Louisiana Dairy law apply to out-of-state manufacturers?

Anyone that sells dairy products in the state has to be licensed and pay Louisiana assessments.

What procedure would I follow to sell dairy products?

You must be licensed by our Dairy Division after obtaining a license to sell dairy products from the Dept. of Health and Hospitals.

How do I obtain a grain dealer's license?

Contact the Department’s Ag Commodity/Warehouse Division at (225) 922-1341 for information on obtaining a license.