Search Our Site...

FAQ – Scales, Taxi Meters, & Flow Meters

What type of scale do I need to buy?
Scales must be NTEP Approved and suitable for your intended use. All NTEP Approved scales have a Certificate of Conformance number (CC#) which our office can verify for you. The type of scale you purchase should be suitable regarding the minimum and maximum capacity relative to the intended use.  NTEP – Check to see if your scale is legal for trade

How much do I need to pay to register my scale?

Scale Registration Fees
Scale Registration Fees
Category 10 to 1,000 lbs. $50
Category 21,001 to 10,000 lbs.$115
Category 3Over 10,000 lbs.$215

Do I need a Weighmaster License?
The need for a Weighmaster License depends on how a scale will be used. The following questions will help clarify your specific use requirements.

  1. Are you or your employees overseeing a scale being used to buy commodities from the public? 
  2. Are you or your employees overseeing a scale being used in non-retail sales? 
  3. Are you or your employees using a scale to issue a weight, while not being the buyer or seller in a transaction? 
  4. Are you or your employees issuing weighments for hire?

If you answered Yes to any of the above questions, then you or your employees need a weighmaster license. If you answered No to all four questions then you probably do not need a weighmaster license. If you are still unsure, contact us and we can clarify it for you.

Where can I pay registration fees online?
USA Plants – Weights & Measures Online Payment Services

How can I schedule an inspection?
Inspections can be scheduled by contacting our office via email or (225) 925-3780.

How do I submit a Placed in Service Report?
Placed in Service Report

Where can I take service tech exams?
Service Tech Exams