- Agricultural & Environmental Sciences
- Agricultural Chemistry Programs
- Horticulture Programs
- Pesticide & Environmental Programs
- Seed Programs
- Agricultural & Environmental Sciences
- Animal Health
- Industrial Hemp
- Medical Marijuana
- Indian Creek Recreation Area
- Quick Guide
- Pay Online
Search Our Site...Subscribe
Federal & State Meat Programs
The Louisiana Department of Agriculture and Forestry’s Federal/State Meat Program, authorized by the Meat & Poultry Inspection Law (RS 3:4201), ensures the wholesomeness and safety of meat slaughtered and processed in Louisiana.
Meat Inspection personnel enforce regulations for inspecting all livestock and poultry slaughtered and processed in state inspected facilities. Species that require inspection under the law are cattle, swine, sheep, goat, ratites (emu, ostrich and rhea), equine (not currently funded), domestically-raised chickens, turkeys, ducks, geese, guineas, ratites, or squabs (also termed young pigeons from one to about thirty days of age). Personnel are also responsible for ensuring that meat and poultry processing facilities meet federal guidelines.
The LDAF Federal/State Meat Programs operates an accredited laboratory that analyses meat and poultry product samples for adulteration. The Program also reviews and approves all meat and poultry product labels to assure that accurate product information is supplied to the consumer.
The Program’s compliance officers conduct investigations of consumer complaints and suspected violations of the Meat and Poultry Inspection Law. Another element of the Program is a voluntary grading and certification program for meat and meat products, poultry and poultry products, fish and fish products.
Steps to Apply for Meat and Poultry Inspection
Below is a general description of the application process:
- Contact the Federal/State Meat Program Office, 225-922-1358 and inform them of your intent to apply for inspection.
- Complete an Application.
- Mail the original to:
LDAF Federal/State Meat Program
5825 Florida Blvd., Suite 4003
Baton Rouge, LA 70806
- You will be put in contact with a District Supervisor in your area.
- The District Supervisor will advise you of the inspection requirements.
- Complete a Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP) training class. Prepare your HACCP and Sanitation Standard Operating Procedure (SSOP) plans.
- Have the water source for your facility tested through the local health authority and obtain a copy of the test results.
- Obtain a letter of approval from the local health authority for your facility’s sewage and waste system.
- You will be assigned an establishment number.
- Submit product labels to the Federal/State Meat Program for approval and receive a grant of inspection.
- An Introduction to Inspection
- Meat Inspection Quick Reference
- Livestock Slaughter Decision Tree
- Red Meat Processing Decision Tree
- New Processing Plant Checklist [PDF]
- Meat & Poultry Inspection Law Title 3
- Facility Guidelines [PDF]
- State Meat Program Rules and Regulations Title 7 [PDF]
- Federal Meat Inspection Act
- Poultry Products Inspection Act
- Compliance Guidelines Index
- Directives Index
- Notices Index
- HAACP Regulations
- Sanitation Regulations
- Sanitation Performance Standards
- USDA Labeling Guidance
- Niche Meat Processing Assistance
- Resources and Information
- Small Very Small Plant Outreach
- Thermometer Guidance
- Example Plant Layouts
- Custom Exemption Quick Reference
- LDAF Exempt Facility Guidelines
- LDAF Example Poultry Layout
- Exemptions Regulation 303.1
- Slaughter Guidance
Grading & Certification Program
The LDAF Grading and Certification program ensures the meat, poultry, and seafood products received by state institutions and schools are wholesome and of the highest quality.
All grading and certification is performed by Louisiana Department of Agriculture (LDAF) meat and poultry inspectors.
ACT 749 states,
A. All state agencies, state institutions, or local school districts operating food service facilities for students, or for patients or inmates in their custody, shall utilize only those meat, poultry, and seafood products that have met all Louisiana Department of Agriculture and Forestry requirements for grading and certification.
B. No contract shall be entered into by any state agency, state institution, or local school district for the operation of any facility that includes a food service facility, UNLESS the contract contains provisions requiring that any meat, poultry, or seafood utilized in such facility has met all Louisiana Department of Agriculture and Forestry requirements for grading and certification service.
U. S. Department of Commerce (USDC) Seafood Inspection
This program designed to inspect for specific SEAFOOD criteria as set forth in USDC guidelines and utilizes LDAF cross trained licensed inspectors who issue Lot Inspection Certificates, Export Health Certificates, Certificates of Origin and other USDC certificates. Personnel also perform sanitation inspections on a contract basis.
Sanitation inspections of facilities are performed on an hourly contract basis
- List of approved USDC establishments
- US Department of Commerce (USDC) Log In portal
- USDC Request for Inspection form
To file a complaint or inquiry related to meat inspection, please contact the LDAF Federal/State Meat Program main office at 225-922-1358 or mail to 5825 Florida Blvd., Suite 4003, Baton Rouge, LA 70806.
Please provide as much information as possible to allow us to better assist you with your issue, including your contact information.
Consumers Requesting Communication Assistance
It is the policy of the Louisiana Department of Agriculture and Forestry, Meat and Poultry Inspection Program, to provide meaningful access to individuals, who wish to access its programs and services regardless of their national origin or limited ability to speak, read, write or understand English. Both TTY/TDD and voice users may initiate calls through Louisiana Relay Directory by dialing 711 or by contacting them directly at Louisiana Relay.
Individuals speaking Spanish may dial 225-922-1359 to leave a voicemail request and email address.
Las personas que hablan español pueden llamar al 225-922-1359 para dejar una petición de correo de voz y correo electrónico.
In accordance with Federal and State Laws, the Louisiana Department of Agriculture and Forestry is prohibited from discrimination in its programs and services on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin or ancestry, disability (including blindness), medical condition, marital status, veteran status, and political affiliation.
To file a complaint of discrimination, please contact the LDAF Federal/State Meat Program main office at (225) 922-1358 or write to Director, Meat and Poultry Inspection, LDAF, 5825 Florida Blvd., Suite 4003, Baton Rouge, LA 70806. Alternately, you may contact the U.S. Department of Agriculture at (866) 632-9992 (toll free) or write to USDA Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Avenue, SW, Washington, DC 20250-9410.
The Louisiana Department of Agriculture and Forestry is an equal opportunity employer and service provider.